Mar 15, 2010

Elusive Faith

Long time back, a friend told me that there cannot be a God. The concept of having a powerful force who controls each and every event in our lives is a figment of somebody's imagination'. Else how can you explain all the wars and bad events around. I disagreed outright, with the instilled passion of faith that comes to a person born in a God-fearing family, whose parent happens to be an ardent sunday school teacher and an active member of the church.

That was 4 years back.

I wish I could say that I still disagree, but it just does not come with the same fervour as before. As I grew up, it never occurred to me to ask too many questions. I just believed everything as it was told. And life was so clear & simple to understand. If you do something bad, you go to hell and versa vice. And yes, heaven is somewhere in the sky, whereas hell is below the ground we stand on. Today I question whether there is anything called 'hell' anymore. (I mean could something be worse than the world we are living in?). And who can say what is good or bad anymore. Right and wrong has a whole new definition now and a thinner line of distinction.

The world I'm living in has become quite capable to de-sensitize. No one ever wears their emotions on their sleeves anymore. It could be the the quickest way to survive any tragedy.

I witnessed life in Mumbai, when the train bomb blasts took place. I witnessed life in Pune when the German Bakery blast took place. The place and the toll of death though different, the feeling of vulnerability and fear remained same.

Who knows for a fact that in the next blast, we might not be one among the statistics of people who either lost their life or a loved one.

4 comments:

Santosh Wilson said...

hiii, you have said it rightly! bt dont loose your hope!

there was this doctor who had a NDE (Near Death Experience) As he died for a short period of time, he had witnessed the reality of life.. in his words, there was nothing separate a world called hell, it was actually in this world itself... in everyone's mind!

GO thru this link

http://bibleprobe.com/drrichie.htm


Santosh Wilson

Just Words said...

Great post ! It makes u think, well you are right , world does seem to be going from bad to worse .. but is that a new phenomenon ? life has been cruel and unfair since Genesis . I will never be able to comprehend why life is so fragile and world so full of injustices and distress . But I know every day when I lay on my bed I should be grateful that I am still breathing I am no different from the people who died in Mumbai or Pune it could have so easily been me. But I am still breathing and I will like to call it gods grace :-)

Ancy said...

@ Santywill - Thanks for your comment.. Years back I was constantly reading abt OBE,NDE etc..its still a topic of debate, coz it doesnt have a solid source of information.

@Just Words - Thanks for your comments. Yes, God's grace is highly underrated and the most easiest and convenient thing to forget.

mathew said...

i think the best way to lead our life is by asking our own conscience. in a way it kind of makes the question of existence of god irrelevant..i believe our conscience can tell us what to do irrespective of religious scriptures....