Jul 9, 2008

Keeping pace with my Momsie-in-law

My in-laws are visiting us for 2 weeks. They arrived on Sunday the week before. It is always a delight to have them around the house. They do not waste any time in settling down or taking rest , but start off taking charge of the house hold activities and everything. They are always there to greet me when I reach home, otherwise which is empty, since Matt comes home quite late. The house has lit up so much with lively, animated conversation, laughter, chatty arguments over the silliest things(my mom-in-law and me about whether a certain fruit was an orange or sweet lime), narrating old childhood stories and unlimited food - heavy breakfast, lunch and dinners. Literally everyday, I feel like taking a leave and staying at home.

My mom-in-law is a pure workaholic. She worked as a nurse and is now a house wife in the fullest sense. As a nurse, she had to work many shifts and then manage home with 3 unruly boys who were obviously up to no good. And now she has the set pattern of working 24/7 around the clock. Before coming to visit us, she made around 6 jackfruit halwa - a specialty of Kerala, ground coconut chutney and pineapple jam(let me remind you, these things take a loads of time to prepare and requires constant attention). In the last one week at home, she has made 3 bottles of pickles - lime, garlic and mango, other delicacies like
unni appams and urad wadas. She has prepared enough spices - right from scratch - for me to use for the next 6 months. And all this despite of the fact that I constantly try to stop her from entering the kitchen, at least when I'm at home esp. during weekends. I haven't seen anybody who so gleefully pulls out steamed idlis and sambhar, along with 5 varieties of dishes and curries for lunch at the same time.

I surely cannot keep up with her. She will not sit still for a second. She tends to over do things whether or not she is up to it. But she never forces me to work along side her and asks me to leave her alone and stop fussing her. I feel bad leaving her like that but I've come to realize that it really doesn't make any difference 'coz she is so involved in the process that one can only stand over there as a spectator with nothing to do other than swatting flies. And its so hard to keep your hands off the things she makes and places on the plate. Earlier, I did not take any of the food without the whole process getting over. Now, however, I've just given up and she has to chase me out of the kitchen.

Yes, Ive learned a lot from her methods and she always keeps giving me advice and tips on many things. Looking at her, at times, we keep forgetting that she is old and weak also. She takes all the pains in her stride. Matt told me once, how often he has caught her massaging her legs on her own at night, after a long day's work, without stirring a soul.

It brings tears to my eyes at times when I think of what she has been through. 'Coz of cancer, her right hand has swollen up because the fluids keep collecting up there. She can't wear bangles which every Kerala woman loves, she walks lop-sided and can't climb heights, because her legs ache if she exerts her self. But she still walks speedily, sometimes it looks like she is gonna fall, whenever we go for outings just to keep up with us and not to miss out of all the fun. She hates any kind of sympathy or special treatment. She wants us to treat her like she is normal and fights her way to resume work the way she wants. In the little time , I've known her, she has been a person who has given me ample space to make mistakes. But she does not tolerate my irresponsibility or laziness and points it out then and there.

Its overwhelming what she has shown me - that it takes a lot more than having a beautiful face or body to be a Woman in the true sense. It goes to show that one does not need to compromise on anything just because s/he is sick or just because someone has written us off as weak. We need to be aware of our own capabilities and push its limits. Though not in so many words, she does not claim to be a very great person nor expects any accolades for what she does. She feels she is just being what she was meant to be - A SURVIVOR!!

9 comments:

Caroline Kaunds said...

hey u really are fortunate to have a really nice mom in law...hope u learnt some good dishes from her...u better make them when i come over to ur place:)

Ancy said...

yeah, im realising that im lucky u know, and u tell me when ur coming, i assure u that u wont be disappointed.. heh heh!!

Naiesha said...

Wow! Your mom-in-law is an expert. I'm glad u r having a great time. Enjoy it while it lasts. Those dishes I would love to taste.....Hope her health is better too....

Ancy said...

yeah yeah, she is fine unless she over exerts herself....and been going for reg. check ups...

oohh, enjoy it while it lasts, eh? I'll do tht, but I hope it nvr ends, heh heh!! Everything comes with a cost u see, and since its been more thn 2 years, u must be aware of what they expect of us by now...

Preeti Shenoy said...

What an inspiring person she sounds like.
I am sure the jack fruit halwa you refer to is 'Chakka varati' right?
Thanks for linking me! I'm honoured.
Cheers!
Preeti (Just a mother of two)

Praveen said...

this whole thing sounds really fresh..usually i hear gals blaming their mother-in-laws and hurling all insults at them(mostly behind their back)..and here you are praising ur mom-in-law to no end...
u must be really fortunate to get such a mom-in-law...or may be this is a sign of the in-law relations changing with the times..

Ancy said...

hey praveen, thnks for visiting....well, its more to do with factors, like our mom-in-laws and moms were working, so they knw how the situation is for women, plus with the trend of nuclear families, they are not in your face 24/7...so the few days they come, we enjoy their presence, and frankly, it takes a little load off too..

And women every where do not really cause trouble to their counterparts just for the heck of it...so yeah, maybe the situation IS changing...

mathew said...

well i think there are so many heros we meet in life..esp mom's who slog with unwavering love which we dont realise sometimes...nice to know that you got such a great MIL...

and thanks for dropping by my blog.

Ancy said...

hey mathew, thanks for visiting...whts that saying in malayalam...'muttathe mullekyu manam illa'....heh heh