May 13, 2008

Step Mom - The Movie

Okay, which is the one movie I can watch over more than 30 times - it is 'Step Mom'. It is one movie with all my favorite actors, Susan Sarandon( her best role ever), Ed Harris ( another very underrated actor in hollywood) and of course Julia Roberts. I have cried buckets of tears with laughter and emotion almost all the time I watch it. The best Women spirited movie ever. I'm yet to see another movie that has portrayed wide range of conflicted roles of a Woman.

A head-strong, potential ace fashion photographer Isabel Kelly(Julia Roberts) trying to prove herself to boyfriend, Luke's (Ed Harris) family. A disarrayed ex-wife Jackie(Susan Sarandon) coming in terms with a failed marriage and her illness. A teenager Anna, played by the pretty Jena Malone, watching her father's affection for a stranger other than her Mom, who she wants to hate but finds herself drawn to her. Their conflicts with finding a meaning for their lives are so evident and heart wrenching.
Also in the movie is the sweet heart Ben, played by Liam Aikan (anybody's watched 'Judging Amy' on Hallmark? Check out the grown-up, handsome Aikan!!)

The best moments in the movie...well there are so many but I'll jot down my favorite in random order:

* The scene where Ed Harris proposes to Julia...( which woman wouldn't want to be proposed that way!!)

* Ben makes chocolate milk for Isabel and puts some sleeping pills. Isabel goes off to sleep reading a bed-time story to Ben, and Ben thinks he's killed Isabel. Check his victory dance, he's so cute!!

* When Isabel teaches Anna a painting technique with a 'whosh', 'whosh' lip sound.

* Isabel goes to pick up Ben from a birthday party and loses her map and calls up for help to locate the house.

* Susan Sarandon's reaction when the doctor breaks to her about her cancer diagnosis.

* The Marvin Gaye/Tammi Terrell song, "Ain't no mountain" in the car with Isabel, Anna and Ben, and Isabel passes the lipstick to Anna.

* The same song and dance by Jackie, Anna and Ben at home.

* When Ben falls in the park watch Jackie and Isabel looking after him in the hospital.

* Isabel and Jackie's conversation about Anna's wedding day. Isabel's fear is that 20 years later when Anna is getting ready for her marriage, Anna might say "Wish Mom was here!" and Jackie fears she might not say that. (I cried my heart out!!)

* Jackie and Anna's horse ride in the moon-lit night.

* When Isabel decides to quit her job and decides to look after Jackie and the kids.

* When Jackie wants to tell Luke about her diagnosis and Luke tells her about his desire to propose to Isabel. (Susan is so expressive without saying a word)

* Christmas Day: The kids talk with Jackie.
Ben's delight at getting a dove.

I must have watched this movie so many times that I could remember most of the dialogues too, till recently. But that won't stop me from watching it again and recommending everyone around me to watch it. It is a movie every mother and daughter, every sisters and every close friends must watch. I want to dedicate this blog for all those ladies who have made sacrifices for their families, battled cancer and for being the person they are.

It was Mother's day on Sunday!!! Here is to my Mom, who at times, single-handedly managed to look after us, cook food for us and also managed a successful career. Here is to my Mom-in-law, who brought up 3 sons (making them such gentlemen), managed her career as a Nurse, survived breast cancer and lives each day as if there is no tomorrow.

Ladies take a bow, you have inspired me, my sister, my husband, brother-in-laws and sister-in-laws and we salute you!

Video - Ain't No Mountain High Enough
Step Mom Song - Under Pressure

6 comments:

Naiesha said...

I loved reading ur take on this movie..Neat post...loved the song "Ain't no mountain"....wud love to have more posts on movies!!!

Have u seen "Little Women"?? U'll love this movie...Susan Sarandon and my favorite Winona Rider did a wonderful job...

Ancy said...

Thanks Naiesha.... I saw 'Little women'...Winona Ryder was really good...I loved reading the book though...Same with Pride and Prejudice...I enjoyed the book than the movie!!

Naiesha said...

Pride and Prejudice has a very special place in my heart...m still waiting for my Mr.Darcy though :-)

Caroline Kaunds said...

hey i love this movie too..the kid is too cute..

nachiwa said...

you seems to be very touching about films....i am from pune too & i have good collection of forign films like iranian films
mail me at nachiwa@gmail.com
:)

Anonymous said...

yeah tat was a very touching movie..uve expressed it so well in the post..gud one!